The Graduate Institute of English Language and Literature was established in 1956 on the strength of the existing faculty and resources of the Department of English. The Institute is the first of its kind and is dedicated to the study of foreign languages and literatures in Taiwan. In addition to its M.A. programs, the Institute began to offer Ph.D. programs in Linguistics and Literature in 1986. In 1996, the Graduate Institute merged with the Department of English as a single teaching and research unit, offering B.A, M.A and Ph. D. programs. In 1999, the M.A and Ph. D programs are divided into three tracks: Literature, Linguistics and TESOL, all of which aim to develop research skills and train research-oriented college instructors and scholars in these fields.
We have 177 M.A. students and 48 Ph.D. students. Only a few students are admitted through recommendation and screening, and most are admitted through the Graduate Entrance Examination.
To encourage teachers to continue in-job training, the Department hosted its “Summer Program for English Teachers” from 1978 to 2001. In this Program English teachers must take 10 credits of coursework each summer, and complete the required credits within four years. Like the M.A. program, English teachers will be awarded certificate of completion, but not a degree, after finishing 40 credits. In 1999 the Department started to administer its “Summer M.A. TESL Program.” The participants are mainly junior high school and high school teachers (including vocational high schools); they must complete 32 credits in four years. After successfully passing the oral thesis defense, they are awarded an M.A. degree. However, in 2004 the number of required credits was raised to 36.
- Course Information and Selection
- class schedule of graduate school for 2022 Spring semester
- class schedule of graduate school for 2021 Fall semester
- class schedule of graduate school for 2021 Spring semester
- class schedule of graduate school for 2020 Fall semester
- class schedule of graduate school for 2020 Spring semester
- class schedule of graduate school for 2019 Fall semester
- Requirements for Internship and Practicum
- For further information, please consult the English Department.
- In-Service TESOL MA Program Requirements and Courses 2020
- In-Service TESOL MA Program Requirements and Courses 2018
- In-Service TESOL MA Program Requirements and Courses 2016
- Course Schedule for In-Service TESOL MA Program Fall 2019
- MA Practical Report Advisor Consent Form
- MA Practical Report Proposal Hearing Application Form
- Declaration of Originality
- Oral Defense Application Form (Practical Report)
- Oral Defense Application Form (Technical Report)
- MA Technical Report Cover Format with example
- Thesis Order and Numbering